Baked Vegetable Pasta
October 15, 2011
So after seven months of being MIA from my blog I thought it was about time I brought it back to life! I will spare everyone from a variety of excuses for why I was essentially just too lazy to update my blog. Mind you I didn’t ever stop cooking in that time so luckily I have some great photographs and recipes to share with you all :-)
This Baked Vegetable Pasta recipe is one that I’m excited to share because it was inspired by a previous dish I have made on this blog. The Ratatouille I shared back in 2010 was a recipe that utilized simple vegetables. So likewise, in this pasta dish I used similar vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and bell pepper to make a delicious yet simple dish.
Baked Vegetable Pasta Recipe:
For the sauce:
- 10 ripe tomatoes (diced)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic-ginger paste
- a cup of water
- 2 medium sized zucchini (sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 medium sized eggplant (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- handful of fresh shredded parmesan cheese for crust
- few tablespoons of butter for crust
- Either use store bought pasta sauce or make the sauce by sautéing the onions in a few tablespoons of oil for a few minutes. Then add the garlic ginger paste and cook for a minute. Next add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin powder. Add water to thin out the sauce and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Boil the pasta until al dente (tender in the middle) and set aside.
- Next, you will need to saute each vegetable in a few tablespoons of oil until tender. This will be about 3-5 minutes depending on the vegetable (for example the eggplant will take less time than the bell pepper). Make sure to season each vegetable well with salt and pepper. As you finish sauteing each batch of vegetables, remove them into a large bowl.
- In the same large bowl mix in the sauce, pasta, and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix everything well!
- In a greased baking dish pour in the pasta mixture. Top with shredded parmesan cheese and dabs of butter to make a crust. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the pasta has become golden brown.